One of the largest temple complex in Northern India, situated in the heart of the city in the Raghunath Bazar, the temple was built in 1857 by Maharaja Ranbir Singh. The main temple has the idols of Lord Rama, Mata Sita and Shri Lakshman ji placed on a raised platform. The inner walls of the main temple are covered with gold sheets on three sides. There are many galleries with lakhs of saligrams. The numerous other temples in the complex are dedicated to various Gods and Goddesses of the Hindu Pantheon. The Temple also houses a Sanskrit Library containing rare Sanskrit manuscripts.
Jammu is located 74 degree 24′ and 75 degree 18′, East longitude and 32 degree 50′ and 33 degree 30′ North latitude. It is approximately 600 Kms away from National Capital, New Delhi and is linked with a National Highway.
The temperature varies from cold in winter with minimum temperature touching even 0.9 degree Centigrade to heat wave in summers when the temperature shoots upto 46 degree centigrade. Jammu District is spread over an area of 3097 Sq Kms and has a population of about 15.88 lakhs as per the estimates of 2001. It is largest populated District of the state and second largest in terms of population density and falls under the category ‘B’. The literacy percentage of the District is 77% in as per 2001 census which was highest in the state.
This District is having a National Airport situated at Satwari. This District serves as the Winter Capital of J & K state from November to April when all the offices move from Srinagar to Jammu.
Jammu. the Duggar land where the past still has a living presence. A land of grand ancient temples, and beatiful palaces. All nestling in the foothills of the Himalayas. It is said that, on becoming King, the Suryavanshi Jambu Lochan went on a hunt and, crossing the Tawi, found a deer and a tiger drinking water from the same tank. His ministers explained that this meant that the soil of the place was so virtuous that no living creature bore enmity against another. Raja Jambu Lochan, who lived in the later vedic period, decided to found his capital , Jambupura, on his soil, on the right bank of the Tawi, overlooking his brother king Bahu’s fort. Today the temple of Maha Kali ( better known as Bahu or Bawey Wali Mata), located in the Bahufort, is considered second only to Mata Vaishno Devi in terms of mystical power. The present temple was built shortly after the coronation of Maharaja Gulab singh, in 1822. The existing fort, as well as the Manasabdar’s palace inside it, was constructed in 1820.
Jammu is justly famous for its temples. In fact it is known as the city of temples and the every fame of its tends to overshadow its palaces, forts, forests and powerful ziarats. If Bahu Mata is the presiding deity of Jammu, the dargah of Peer Budhan Ali Shah is the other shrine that protects Jammuites. The other major tourist attraction is the Ragunath Temple Complex. Maharaja Gulab Singh began the construction of the Raghunath Mandir Complex in the crowded downtown Bazaar named after it, in 1851. It was left to his son, Ranbir Singh, to inaugurate it six years later perhaps the most popular temple north of Benares, it contains representations of almost entire Hindu pantheon, though the emphasis falls on the various incarnations of Lord Vishnu. The complex houses a rich collection of ancient texts and manuscripts.